libavg has supported the Raspberry Pi for a while now. In the last few weeks, I set up a cross-compile toolchain: You compile libavg for the Raspberry Pi on a separate Linux machine. This means compiling is done in a few minutes (as opposed to an hour or more if you compile directly) – here are build instructions. Also, after a bugfix, we have full libavg functionality on the Pi. Video decoding, sadly, is still done in software, since the first two people that have tried implementing it have given up – I’ll see what I can do on that front.
I’m sure most of you have heard of the Raspberry Pi, a $25 ARM computer that runs Linux. We’ve spent quite a bit of time in the last weeks getting libavg to run on this machine, and I’m happy to say that we have a working beta. We render to a hardware-accelerated OpenGL ES surface and almost all tests succeed. Besides full image, text and software video support, that includes all compositing and even offscreen rendering and general support for shader-based FX.
We have brief setup instructions at https://www.libavg.de/site/projects/libavg/wiki/RPI. Update: The setup instructions have been updated for cross-compiling (much faster!) and moved to https://www.libavg.de/site/projects/libavg/wiki/RaspberryPISourceInstall.
Most of the work was getting libavg to work with OpenGL ES. We now decide whether to use desktop or mobile OpenGL depending on a configure switch, an
avgrc entry and the hardware capabilities. Along the way, we implemented mobile context support under Linux for NVidia and Intel graphics systems, so we can now test most things without actually running (and compiling!) things on the Raspberry. Speaking of which – compiling for the Raspberry takes a long time. Compiling on it is impossible because there just isn’t enough memory. We currently chroot into a Raspberry file system and compile there (see the notes linked above).
A lot of things are already implemented the way they should be for a mobile system. That means that, for example, bitmaps are loaded (and generated, and read back from texture memory…) in either RGB or BGR pixel formats depending on the flavor of OpenGL used and the vertex arrays are smaller now so we save bandwidth. Still, there’s a lot of optimization to do. Our next step is getting things stable and fast. We want hardware video decoding, compressed textures – and in general, we’ll be profiling to find spots that take more time than they should.